Monday, March 15, 2010

Car Culture

Today was an experience. I picked up the, Camero, in all it's, "rumbly", orange and black, glory about noon. Deb and I drove over to the, La Frontera in West Valley City for lunch. And as I'm leaving the restaurant, a group of about 10 or 15, "twenty somethings" who were walking in, all stopped, and watched us drive out of the parking lot.

I took my son to get a new soccer ball, and driving through a neighborhood, a couple of kids, maybe 10 years old, came running out to the street and although I couldn't hear them, I could read their lips, and they were yelling, "NICE CAR!"

Later this afternoon, I drive over to my friend's house, and again, young kids, around, I'd say, 10 to 12, actually dropped the basketball's and stuff they were playing with, and ran to the street, holding their thumbs in the air, and again, yelling, "NICE CAR!" at me.

I watched every pedestrian I passed today in the rear view mirror. They all stopped and watched this car go buy until we were out of sight.

You would think I was driving a, Bentley, or a, Rolls Royce, or something that came out of, "Star Wars"! It's JUST a Camero, for crying out loud! It's not even a FOREIGN CAR! It came out of, Detroit!

I'm just glad it fits in my garage. If not, I'd have had to sell a pick up truck that I've loved for 12 years, to make room for it.

I'll drive it tomorrow, but Wednesday, it's supposed to rain. This 406 bhp, rear wheel drive, monster is staying in the garage when the weather isn't good. But man, it's fun to drive.

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure they were yelling nice car. I think when your reading lips with the right emphasis they could have been saying Fuc-ker. Which is was my envious self is saying right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were,like 10! So I think it was, "nice car". But you could be right. And you can't move five kids in a, Camero. I found out tonight you have trouble moving two 14 year old soccer players to a Futsol game if you don't move the driver's seat forward, and the steering wheel back toward the dashboard, and you are bringing your wife. It's basically a two seater. The back seats are about as useful as tits on a boar.

    ReplyDelete